PRK and Lasek – the Alternative Solution
All about PRK Lasek at EuroEyes
How Does PRK Work?
PRK and LASEK are among the surface techniques. Thus, the corneal epithelium is pushed aside or removed first, mechanically (PRK) or with a special scraper (LASEK). In contrast to the LASIK / FEMTO-LASIK, in which a complete corneal flap is generated, a thin layer of corneal epithelium is remained in PRK / LASEK.
With the excimer laser, the cornea is ablated to a certain thickness with the excimer laser – on the basis of the measured values at the preliminary eye examination. The refractive power of the cornea is thereby changed, so that incoming light rays now bundle correctly on the retina – a sharp visual image is created.
Finally the corneal epithelium is pushed back and the cornea is covered with a protective contact lens. The first 3 to 5 days the contact lens protects the epithelium that has yet to heal, and is then removed. It may take two to three months until the stability of vision is attained. Watch a video about the PRK / LASEK treatment
Good to know about PRK/LASEK
PRK–The Alternative ProcedurePRK (Photo Refractive Keratektomy) and LASEK (Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis) are fallback procedures and should only be preferred to LASIK/FEMTO-LASIK in special cases.
- PRK and LASEK treatments leave a larger wound area, which can cause significant discomfort and pain.
- Additionally, a mild to severe scarring can occur, which must be treated preventively with cortisone eye drops over a long period.
- In PRK, the healing process is supported by a contact lens.
- Overall, the patient must be prepared for a long time of adjusting to the improved vision.
On the Contrary, LASIK/Femto LASIK Guarantees:
- An almost painless healing process. Because the wound in the depth of the cornea is protected by the “Flap”, it creates no scars
- And the improved vision adapts very quickly.
In Summary, the Advantages of LASIK / Femto-LASIK Compared to PRK / LASEK:
- Faster visual rehabilitation
- Refractive stability
- No regression of the visual disorder
PRK/LASEK Treatment Procedure
1. Personal, Non-binding Consultation:
- All relevant eye parameters are measured.
- We determine what the best method of treatment is for your eyes
- Examine your eyes to make sure you are a suitable candidate for the treatment
- The examination usually lasts about two hours
- Intensive ophthalmic preliminary examination and measurement of your eyes
- Our Specialists in ophthalmology will explain every detail about the treatment
- Before this preliminary examination you should not have worn soft contact lenses for one week and hard contact lenses for two weeks
- Please note that after the examination you will not be safe driving a vehicle–neither car, nor motorcycle or bicycle. We therefore recommend that you take a cab or public transportation
- Following the examination you will receive an after-care set for the days after your treatment. The medication and content will be explained in detail by our staff